Friday, December 11, 2015

Artist get away plein air painting

Last August I was invited, along with several other artist friends, to a very nice cabin retreat in Star Valley, Wyoming. We were excited to get away for a few days and paint. 

All of us being artists, we spent most of the daylight hours painting somewhere in Star Valley. Most of the paintings I did while I was there were so-so to me and I kept them to myself and eventually fed them to the garbage can. But these three little studies turned out great! The cabin was surrounded by quaking aspens so on the second day, instead of heading back out with the others, I decided to stay closer to home and paint in the shade.

 I find quaking aspen have a lot of personality. I think of them as I would a figure. They easily become the focus and subject of a painting. Also, the color of the bark of the aspen is similar to flesh tone. When in the shadows, it reflects all the colors around it so it's always a challenge to find that subtle color.



 
 Summer Quakies Study #1
Prepared paper mounted to panel  9.5" x 5.25"



  Summer Quakies Study #2
Prepared paper mounted to panel 5" x 8"


  Summer Quakies Study #3
Prepared paper mounted to panel  13.25" x 7.25"




2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing valuable information, I really very impressive on your blog. I hope you continue on a blogging job. Fine arts courses in india